Trinity Tiger PeeWee Bantams win Super Bowl


Congratulations to the Bantam Division Trinity Tigers Super Bowl Champions 2017. They did Trinity proud in victorious showing against the Mexia Wildcats team at the Tiger Stadium at the high school in Corsicana on Saturday, November 18, 9 AM. The final score was 22-12.

Emotional Tiger Seniors Play Final Game as Tigers Fall in Bi-District Playoff Round

By Scott Womack

When Texas High School Playoffs began last week District 11, 4th Seed Tigers traveled to Waller ISD Stadium to challenge District 12 Champion, Hitchcock Bulldogs in the opening round of Class 3A State Playoffs. Each team knew that when the night was over, one team would advance to the Area Round and the other would begin their offseason program. For the Tigers, the offseason begins after the Thanksgiving Break.

The Tigers received the opening kickoff and were unable to get on track, turning the ball over, on downs, to the Bulldog offense. The Bulldogs were able to take their opening drive in for a touchdown; the failed 2-point try gave the Bulldogs an early 6-0 lead. Justin Standley returned the kickoff to the 44-yard line, setting the Tiger offense with 56 yards needed to even the score. With a drive that consisted of runs by Grisham Vaught, Justin Standley, and Treyvaun Crawford, Crawford was able to punch the ball into the end zone from 2-yards out to even the score. Adding Erick Salazar’s extra point kick, the Tigers took the lead 7-6. When the Bulldogs got the ball back they were able to complete a 55-yard touchdown pass to regain the lead; the 2-point try brought the score 14-7.  The Tigers fumbled the ball on their next possession, giving the Bulldogs the ball on the 19-yard line.

The 2nd Quarter opened with a touchdown run of 8-yards by the Bulldogs, after the 2-point try, the Bulldogs lead was extended to 22-7. Both defenses stiffened until the Bulldogs were able to break free for a 43-yard touchdown run. Trailing 28-7, the Tigers got the ball back with less than 1-minute remaining in the 1st Half, Vaught connected on a 44-yard touchdown pass to Brice Smith. The Salazar extra point ended the first half with the Tigers trailing 28-14.

The Tiger and Bulldog defenses controlled the 3rd Quarter, and neither team was able to get into the end zone. The Tigers entered the 4th Quarter trailing by 14-points. With less than 5–minutes remaining in the game, the Bulldogs were able to intercept the ball and return it to the Tiger 5-yard line. With the touchdown, the Bulldogs were able to put the game out of reach leading 34-14 as seconds ticked off on the Tigers Season. Although facing an insurmountable deficit, this Tiger Team refused to give less than a 100% effort for their fans, coaches, and graduating seniors. With less than 1-minute remaining in the Tiger Season, Vaught was able to connect with Smith for a 53-yard completion to the Bulldog 2-yard line. Two plays later Vaught ran the ball into the end zone. Standley ran the ball in for the 2 –point play, capping the season with a 34-22 final score.

After the game, Bulldog Coach Cody Carney commended Coach Droddy and the Tigers on a well prepared and hard fought game.

Coach Droddy spoke to a very emotional group of young men and expressed how proud he was of the effort put forth by all the Tigers, how it has been an honor to coach such an exceptional group of men and how proud he is of being a Trinity Tiger Alumni.

Graduating seniors include Gio Garcia, DeJuan Hall, Treyvaun Crawford, Duke Cabusi, Marquinn Goodall, Joel Dees, Roberto Martinez, Parker Hay, Adrian Franks, Papi Arriaga, Brandon Phillips and Garrett King. The experience and leadership of each of these young men will be missed as the Tigers enter the offseason program as they prepare for 2018.

Writers Note: I am truly honored to have had the opportunity to get to know these young men and be on the sidelines with them. Their “never quit” attitude was truly inspiring. Although their record was not what they had hoped, these young men and coaches represented Trinity and Trinity High School with sportsmanship and honor. A scoreboard doesn’t reflect winning, giving 100% effort for your team, school and community does. The 2017 Trinity Tiger Football Team is full of “Winners.” To the graduating seniors, I wish you all the best in your future and may God Bless you. Scott Womack- Tiger Class of 1989.

Tigers Punch Ticket for Playoffs with Win over Kirbyville

By Scott Womack

Senior Night, the final district game and a win to secure a playoff spot was the scenario for Friday’s Tigers vs. Wildcats game at Tiger Stadium. The Tigers took the field in front of the largest home crowd of the season. When the final whistle sounded, the Tigers knew that were going into a bye week before the playoffs instead of the beginning of a long offseason.

The Tigers received the opening kickoff of the game but on the 3rd play from scrimmage, a tipped pass, for an interception, gave the ball to the Wildcats at their own 45-yard line. On the Wildcats 3rd play, the Tiger Defense forced a fumble, giving the ball back to the Tiger Offense on their 25-yard line. The Tiger Offense was unable to move the ball and gave the ball back to the Wildcats with another interception. With good field position, the Wildcats were able to get the first touchdown of the game; the missed PAT brought the score to 6-0. When the Tigers got the ball, they were again unable to maintain possession, fumbling the ball back to the Wildcats on the Tiger 33 yard line. The Tiger Defense was able to secure a stop on 4th down giving the offense another opportunity to get on track. The Tigers were able to drive the ball inside Wildcat territory, but the drive stalled, forcing a punt. The Tiger Defense again held the Wildcat Offense, forcing a punt. The 1st quarter ended with a 6-0 lead by the Wildcats.

The Tiger Offense was on the field to start the 2nd quarter of play. Their drive ended on an unsuccessful fake punt, giving the ball back to the Wildcats on the Tiger 47 yard line. The Tiger Defense was able to strip the ball from the Wildcat quarterback, defensive back, #3 Aundrea Holmes picked up the loose ball and outran everyone for the 70 yards needed for the score. #14 Erick Salazar kicked the PAT, bringing the score 7-6 with the Tigers in the lead. The Tigers again forced a punt by the Wildcats, setting up the offense for an attempt to widen the score. The Tigers were able to move the ball to the 50-yard line, and #9 Grisham Vaught connected with #11 DeJuan Hall for a 50-yard touchdown pass.  Salazar completed the scoring drive with the PAT, giving the Tigers a 14-6 lead. The Wildcats were unable to move the ball against the Tiger Defense, and the Tigers took their lead into the locker room at halftime.

The Tigers kicked off to start the 3rd quarter, and the defense wasted no time in forcing a Wildcat fumble giving the ball back to the offense on the Tiger 48. A failed fake punt gave the ball back to the Wildcats on the Tiger 48-yard line. With the short field, the Wildcats were able to march to the end zone, after a completed 2 point try, the score was tied at 14-14. On the ensuing kickoff, Holmes picked up the ball inside the 5-yard line and broke free for a 60-yard return to the Wildcat 35 yard line, setting up the offense with a short field to work with. The Wildcat Defense was able to stop the Tigers and forced a punt. Hall pinned the Wildcats on their own 15-yard line, and the Tiger Defense again stood strong, forcing another punt. The Tigers were forced to punt on their next possession, but a “roughing the kicker penalty” and “un-sportsman like conduct” penalty gave the ball back to the Tigers plus 30 yards bringing the 3rd quarter to a close, with the score tied at 14.

The 4th quarter began with the Tigers on the Wildcat 48 yard line, 1 & 10. The Tigers were forced to punt the ball back to the Wildcats, but Hall’s kick pinned the Wildcats on their 9-yard line. Two plays later Hall intercepted the ball at the 35-yard line and returned it to the Wildcat 12 yard line. With 1 & 10 Vaught handed the ball to #2 Justin Standley who ran up the middle for the 12 yards needed for the score. The PAT was unsuccessful, but the Tigers regained the lead 20-14. With the Wildcats trying to even the score, to keep their playoff hopes alive, Standley was able to intercept the ball giving the offense the ball with an opportunity to widen their lead. On the next play, Standley took the ball from Vaught and ran 70 yards for another Tiger score. #12 Treyvaun Crawford took the ball into the end zone for the 2 point attempt bringing the score to 28-14. The Tiger Defense stopped the Wildcats, giving the ball back to the Tigers. The offense was able to run out the clock, securing the Tigers trip to the State Playoffs with a 28-14 victory.

Coach Eric Droddy addressed the team after the game and expressed how proud he is of this group of young men. They overcame several heartbreaking losses but never quit believing in themselves. They had the opportunity to secure their playoff spot, at home, on Senior Night and for the seniors, walk out of Tiger Stadium, for the last time, with a victory.

The Tigers will be on the road in two weeks as the will face the District 12 Champion, either La Marque or Hitchcock. These teams will face off Friday Night in Hitchcock; the winner will face the Tigers. Game time and location will be announced as soon as possible after the opponent is confirmed.

Congratulations to the 2017 Tigers for never giving up and doing “Whatever IT Takes” to reach your goals. 


Tigers Defeat Warriors for Second District Win

By Scott Womack

The Tigers traveled to Warren Friday Night to take on the Warriors. When the dust settled, the Tigers kept their playoff hopes alive by defeating the Warriors, 34-12.
The Warriors received the opening kickoff of the game, and the Tiger Defense forced a punt. On the Tigers, 4th offensive play Quarterback #9 Grisham Vaught made a pass completion to #11 DeJuan Hall that resulted in an 80-yard touchdown. With the successful PAT, the Tigers took a 7-0 lead with 6:52 remaining in the opening quarter. The Warriors took over on their own 27-yard line. After a drive that took the remainder of the 1st Quarter and 4:29 off the clock in the 2nd Quarter, the Warriors tightened the score off a 5-yard touchdown run. With the missed PAT, the score was 7-6, Tigers.
The Warriors attempted to catch the Tigers “sleeping” with an unsuccessful onside kick. #8 Kallup Rolling returned the kick to the Warrior 38. With 5:36 left in the 1st half, Vaught completed his second touchdown pass of the evening with a 13-yard completion to #3 Aundrea Holmes. The PAT extended to Tiger lead to 14-6. The Warriors received the kick from #14 Erick Salazar at their 35-yard line, where they began a drive to try and tighten the score before halftime. After a drive that took most of the remaining quarter, the Tigers stopped the Warriors for a loss on 4 & 2. As the 1st half ended, the Tigers took a 14-6 lead into the locker room.
The Tigers received the ball to start the 3rd Quarter on the 50-yard line. On the second play, #2 Justin Standley took the ball 39 yards into the end zone for another Tiger score. The PAT brought the score to 21-6 with 11:19 remaining in the 3rd Quarter. The Tiger Defense forced the Warriors to a 3 & out taking over on their own 29 after the punt. The Tigers next offensive possession mixed with runs, passes and defensive penalties was capped off by Vaught’s 3rd touchdown pass of the evening, a 25-yard completion to Hall. The PAT was unsuccessful, giving the Tigers a 27-6 lead with 5:15 left in the 3rd Quarter. The ensuing drive by the Warriors ended with an interception by #5 Jace Stout, setting up the Tiger offense on their 23-yard line.
The 4th quarter opened with a Tiger punt, setting the Warriors up on offense at their own 42-yard line. After a 10 yard gain, the Tiger defense forced a fumble giving the Tigers the ball back on their own 48-yard line. The offense was unable to get the first down, giving the ball back to the Warriors. With 6:02 remaining in the game, the Warriors completed a 20-yard touchdown pass; with the missed PAT the new score was 27-12. The Tigers next possession ended with another Vaught to Hall 12 yard touchdown pass. The PAT extended the lead to 34-12. On the next Warrior possession #2 Standley intercepted the deep pass, and after a penalty, the Tigers had the ball on the Warrior 20 yard line.
At the end of the game, the Tiger Defense gave up 12 points and forced three turnovers. The offense scored with one rushing touchdown and four passing touchdowns bringing the final score to 34-12. Coach Droddy was very pleased with not only the outcome of the game but the effort displayed in all phases of the game. He did remind the team that with this win and a win next week, against Kirbyville, the Tigers would be in the state playoffs with a 3-3 district record.
The Tigers will play their final regular season game this Friday against Kirbyville at Tiger Stadium; The Tigers will be looking to get revenge on the Wildcats for eliminating them from the playoffs in the final game of last season. The Tigers will be celebrating Senior Night prior to the kickoff, which is scheduled for 7:30 PM at Tiger Stadium.

Fast Start by Trojans Dooms Tigers

Players of the week- Players of the Week against Woodville #5 Jace Stout- Defense, #11 DeJuan Hall – Special Teams & #9-Grisham VaughtPlayers of the week- Players of the Week against Woodville #5 Jace Stout- Defense, #11 DeJuan Hall – Special Teams & #9-Grisham Vaught

The Tigers returned to Tiger Stadium Friday Night with aspirations of picking up their second win of the season, but three quick scores by the Trojans were more than the Tigers could overcome. On the Trojans first offensive play of the game, a 63-yard completion for a touchdown set the early pace of the game. After the Tigers failed to move the ball, the Trojans got the ball back and quickly scored again. After an interception on their next drive, the Trojans scored their 3rd touchdown. With 4:52 off the clock, the Trojans had accumulated a 22-point lead over the Tigers.

In the 2nd quarter, the Tiger offense began showing signs of life, although unable to score they could move the ball against the Trojan Defense. The Tiger Defense tightened in the 2nd quarter as well allowing only one touchdown. The first half ended with the Trojans having a commanding 30-0 lead over the Tigers.

The Tigers came out in the 3rd quarter, and although facing a big deficit, this Tiger team refused to give up. Their offense got the Tigers on the board with two touchdowns by Justin Standley and nice passing by Quarterback #9 Grisham Vaught. The Tiger defense continued to play hard, only allowing the Trojans to score 14 points in the second half.

In the end, the quick start of the Trojans was the deciding factor in the game, bringing the final score of the game to 44-14.

When addressing the team, after the game, Coach Droddy commended the Tigers for their effort in the 2nd half. The Trojans never "let off the gas" and the Tigers put stops together on defense, and the Tiger Offense moved to ball and score against the Trojan Defense. Coach Droddy also pointed out that the first 5 minutes of the game were the deciding factor in the outcome.

The Tigers will travel to Warren this Friday to take on the Warriors at Warrior Stadium in Warren, TX. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 PM.