Tigers Defeat Warriors for Second District Win

By Scott Womack

The Tigers traveled to Warren Friday Night to take on the Warriors. When the dust settled, the Tigers kept their playoff hopes alive by defeating the Warriors, 34-12.
The Warriors received the opening kickoff of the game, and the Tiger Defense forced a punt. On the Tigers, 4th offensive play Quarterback #9 Grisham Vaught made a pass completion to #11 DeJuan Hall that resulted in an 80-yard touchdown. With the successful PAT, the Tigers took a 7-0 lead with 6:52 remaining in the opening quarter. The Warriors took over on their own 27-yard line. After a drive that took the remainder of the 1st Quarter and 4:29 off the clock in the 2nd Quarter, the Warriors tightened the score off a 5-yard touchdown run. With the missed PAT, the score was 7-6, Tigers.
The Warriors attempted to catch the Tigers “sleeping” with an unsuccessful onside kick. #8 Kallup Rolling returned the kick to the Warrior 38. With 5:36 left in the 1st half, Vaught completed his second touchdown pass of the evening with a 13-yard completion to #3 Aundrea Holmes. The PAT extended to Tiger lead to 14-6. The Warriors received the kick from #14 Erick Salazar at their 35-yard line, where they began a drive to try and tighten the score before halftime. After a drive that took most of the remaining quarter, the Tigers stopped the Warriors for a loss on 4 & 2. As the 1st half ended, the Tigers took a 14-6 lead into the locker room.
The Tigers received the ball to start the 3rd Quarter on the 50-yard line. On the second play, #2 Justin Standley took the ball 39 yards into the end zone for another Tiger score. The PAT brought the score to 21-6 with 11:19 remaining in the 3rd Quarter. The Tiger Defense forced the Warriors to a 3 & out taking over on their own 29 after the punt. The Tigers next offensive possession mixed with runs, passes and defensive penalties was capped off by Vaught’s 3rd touchdown pass of the evening, a 25-yard completion to Hall. The PAT was unsuccessful, giving the Tigers a 27-6 lead with 5:15 left in the 3rd Quarter. The ensuing drive by the Warriors ended with an interception by #5 Jace Stout, setting up the Tiger offense on their 23-yard line.
The 4th quarter opened with a Tiger punt, setting the Warriors up on offense at their own 42-yard line. After a 10 yard gain, the Tiger defense forced a fumble giving the Tigers the ball back on their own 48-yard line. The offense was unable to get the first down, giving the ball back to the Warriors. With 6:02 remaining in the game, the Warriors completed a 20-yard touchdown pass; with the missed PAT the new score was 27-12. The Tigers next possession ended with another Vaught to Hall 12 yard touchdown pass. The PAT extended the lead to 34-12. On the next Warrior possession #2 Standley intercepted the deep pass, and after a penalty, the Tigers had the ball on the Warrior 20 yard line.
At the end of the game, the Tiger Defense gave up 12 points and forced three turnovers. The offense scored with one rushing touchdown and four passing touchdowns bringing the final score to 34-12. Coach Droddy was very pleased with not only the outcome of the game but the effort displayed in all phases of the game. He did remind the team that with this win and a win next week, against Kirbyville, the Tigers would be in the state playoffs with a 3-3 district record.
The Tigers will play their final regular season game this Friday against Kirbyville at Tiger Stadium; The Tigers will be looking to get revenge on the Wildcats for eliminating them from the playoffs in the final game of last season. The Tigers will be celebrating Senior Night prior to the kickoff, which is scheduled for 7:30 PM at Tiger Stadium.